The Bible says, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God." 2 Timothy 3:16. "Prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." 2 Peter 1:21. "The scripture cannot be broken." John 10:35.
Answer: It claims to be inspired. It was written by men who were guided by the Holy Ghost. It cannot be broken or proved untrue.
Jesus said, "It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone." "It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." "It is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." Matthew 4:4, 7, 10. "Thy word is truth." John 17:17.
Answer: Jesus quoted Scripture when meeting the temptations of Satan. He also stated that the Bible is truth John 17:17. Jesus often quoted Scripture as authority for the truth He was teaching.
The Bible says, "I am the Lord . . . new things do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them." Isaiah 42:8, 9. "I am God . . . Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done." Isaiah 46:9, 10.
Answer: Bible predictions of things to happen in the future confirm the inspiration of Scripture as they come to pass. Notice the following examples of fulfilled Bible prophecies:
The Bible says, "Thy word is true from the beginning." Psalms 119:160. "The Spirit . . . will guide you into all truth." John 16:13.
Answer: Yes, the Bible is true. The Holy Spirit, who guided the Bible writers, always speaks the truth. Here are a few Bible statements that have been confirmed by science:
The Bible says, "I the Lord speak the truth, I declare what is right." Isaiah 45:19, RSV.*
Answer: Yes, Bible historical statements are accurate. What God says in His book is true. Sometimes, temporarily, evidence may not be found to substantiate certain historical facts from the Bible, but in time the evidence surfaces. Note the following:
Answer: A. The 66 books of the Bible were written:
The Bible says, "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away behold, all things are become new." 2 Corinthians 5:17.
The Bible says, "And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, He [Jesus] expounded unto them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself." Luke 24:27. "For he [Apollos] vigorously refuted the Jews publicly, showing from the Scriptures that Jesus is the Christ." Acts 18:28, NKJV.*
The Bible says, "I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts." Psalms 119:100. "Thou . . . hast made me wiser than mine enemies." Psalms 119:98. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are . . . my thoughts [higher] than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:9.
Answer: The failure and collapse of communism and the weakening and inconsistency of the theory of evolution have spotlighted the Bible.
The Bible says, "Thy word is a . . . light unto my path." Psalms 119:105. "These things have I spoken unto you . . . that your joy might be full." John 15:11. "In the image of God . . . created he them." Genesis 1:27. "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Matthew 5:16. "I will come again, and receive you unto myself that where I am, there ye may be also." John 14:3.
Answer: Because it answers life's most puzzling questions:
13. I am thankful to God for giving me positive answers to life's most puzzling questions.
1. I'm offended that the Bible gives such repugnant, graphic descriptions of sin in recording the lives of some Bible characters. Is this really necessary? Romans 15:4Yes. It is one of the great facts that give credibility to the Bible. Most biographies skip or soften the bad and often overstate the good. Telling it like it is gives people confidence the Bible can be trusted it doesn't cover up. Further, Satan's strategy is to convince people they are such great sinners God cannot or will not save them. What joy sweeps over such people when they are shown Bible cases of people like them and worse whom God delivered from sin and justified Romans 15:4!
2. Is all of the Bible inspired? Many believe only parts of it are. 2 Timothy 3:16The Bible has the answer: "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." 2 Timothy 3:16. The Bible does not simply contain the word of God. Rather, it is the Word of God. The Bible is the information and operations manual for a human life. Ignore any of it and you will have unnecessary difficulties and problems.
3. The Bible is an ancient book with old-fashioned wording and concepts. Don't you feel it is unsafe to rely on something so far removed from our enlightened day? 1 Peter 1:25No. Its age is in its favor. That is, in fact, one of the proofs of its inspiration. The Bible says, "The word of the Lord endureth for ever." 1 Peter 1:25. The Bible stands as a rock. It is God's book, His Word. It cannot be destroyed. Men and even entire nations have burned, banned, and tried to discredit and destroy the Bible, but instead, they discredited themselves. They are gone, and their attacks on the Bible are forgotten. Yet the Bible remains a best-seller, in constant demand. Millions would die for it, if necessary. Its message is God-given and 100 percent up-to-date. Before you study it, pray and ask God to open your heart as you read.
4. Some of the most brilliant people in the world, who have carefully studied the Bible, believe no one can understand it. If the Bible is truly God's book, shouldn't everyone be able to understand it? Bright people who can understand and explain virtually anything are often quickly stopped in their tracks when they read the Bible. The reason is that spiritual things "are spiritually discerned." 1 Corinthians 2:13, 14. The deep things of the Word will never be understood by a secular mind, no matter how brilliant. Unless one honestly seeks an experience with God, he cannot understand the things of God. The Holy Spirit, who explains the Bible John 16:13 14:26, is not understood by the carnal, secular mind. On the other hand, the humble, even uneducated Christian who studies the Bible receives amazing understanding from the Holy Spirit Matthew 11:25 1 Corinthians 2:9, 10.
5. The Bible is full of errors. How can you believe it is inspired? Isaiah 28:9The overwhelming majority of so-called errors in the Bible have been demonstrated to be simply errors of judgment or lack of understanding on the part of those who make the complaint. They are not errors at all, but simply truth misunderstood. The inspired Bible:
1. Which fulfilled prophecies confirm the Bible's inspiration?_____ Cyrus would capture Babylon_____ Ronald Reagan would become president of the United States._____ Egypt would never again be a strong, leading nation._____ Morals would degenerate in the last days._____ Germany would have a 20-year drought._____ Babylon, once destroyed, would never be inhabited again.
2. Jesus showed His belief in Bible inspiration by:_____ Talking loudly on the subject._____ Quoting from it as He taught._____ Calling fire down on those who doubted._____ Announcing it from the temple steps.
3. Which scientific facts from the list below does the Bible mention?_____ The earth is round._____ Air has weight._____ God keeps the atom from flying apart._____ The formula for water is 'H2O'._____ Seawater is salty.
4. Which of the following health rules appear in the Bible? _____ Drink four gallons of water daily._____ Leave alcoholic beverages alone._____ Run every morning and night._____ Abstain from immoral sexual conduct.
5. The following statements about the Bible are true:_____ About 40 people helped write the Bible._____ The Bible was written over a period of 10,000 years._____ Only parts of the Bible are inspired._____ The real Bible author is the Holy Spirit._____ The Bible is a best-seller.
6. Which of the following did the Bible predict about the Messiah's life?_____ Would be born in Nazareth._____ Would fly to heaven often._____ Would be sold for 30 pieces of silver._____ Herod would try to kill Him._____ Would be crucified._____ Would be raised to life after seven years.
7. What Bible rule, if followed, would best prevent AIDS?_____ Do not be sexually immoral._____ Do not worship graven images._____ Eat meals regularly.
8. Which statements below are true about evolution? _____ It is an unproved theory._____ It undermines Christianity._____ It is a proved fact._____ It proves that human beings and apes have common ancestors._____ It is a strong tenet of communism.
9. Which statements below help prove Bible inspiration?_____ Its biographies include bad as well as good._____ It changes the lives of its followers._____ Old Testament prophecies of the Messiah were fulfilled by Jesus._____ It predicted the rise of the four world kingdoms._____ Its unity._____ It tells the day and hour of the second coming of Jesus.
10. God created the earth in six literal, 24-hour days. _____ True_____ False
11. In Noah's day, a worldwide flood destroyed every living thing except the sea life and what was inside the ark. _____ True_____ False
12. The different languages of the world originated at the Tower of Babel. _____ True_____ False