Have you heard of the millennium—the 1,000 years of peace prophesied in the Bible to happen at the end of time?
There are a lot of viewpoints on this period of time, but only one is biblical. Is there peace on earth? Are the wicked converted? Where is Jesus? Let's dig into the Word and find out!
Question: What happens at the start of the 1,000-year period?
- "These came to life again and reigned with Christ for a thousand years" (Revelation 20:4).
Answer: A resurrection begins the 1,000-year period.
Question: What other events mark the beginning of the millennium?
- "Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him" (Revelation 1:7).
- "The Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, ... and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air" (1 Thessalonians 4:16, 17).
- "There was a great earthquake, such as was not since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, and so great. And every island fled away, and the mountains were not found. And there fell upon men a great hail out of heaven, every stone about the weight of a talent [58 to 100 pounds]" (Revelation 16:18, 20, 21).
Answer: At the start of the 1,000 years, the most devastating earthquake and hailstorm in history strike the earth; Jesus returns in the clouds for His people; and all the saints are caught up into the air to meet Jesus.
Question: Many believe the unsaved will have an opportunity to repent during the 1,000 years. What does the Bible say about this?
- "The slain of the Lord shall be at that day from one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth: they shall not be lamented, neither gathered, nor buried; they shall be dung upon the ground" (Jeremiah 25:33).
Answer: It is impossible for any person to repent during the 1,000 years because there will not be a person alive on earth. The righteous will all be in heaven. All the wicked will be lying dead upon the earth.
Revelation 22:11, 12 makes it clear that the case of every person is closed before Jesus returns. Those who wait to accept Christ until the 1,000 years begin will have waited too long.
There is so much more to know about this amazing event!
Please see our Study Guide, “1000 Years of Peace,” for more information.